Select a category
There has been a house at Newhall dating back to the 13th century. The main part of the current house dates from 1703 when it replaced the original keep. This was added to under the ownership of Robert Brown in 1792 when he also built the walled garden. Many alterations were made and signs of former staircases and windows have been found in more recent alterations. Robert Brown’s son, Hugh, commissioned the famous and prolific architect David Bryce to extend the house in 1850 which included the north facing extension housing the dining room and billiard room above, the turreted front door and the domestic offices.
The sun room to the rear and the extension housing the garages were added in recent years.
The principal reception rooms include the drawing room, adjacent to the sun room with French windows to the rear lawn. To the front of the house is the dining room which can seat 22 people at one table with space for an additional table.
The main house and all the cottages around the court yard are heated and supplied with hot water by a 199kW biomass wood chip boiler.